Monday, April 26, 2021

Jumping on the EDU TikTok Bandwagon

 

With kids these days, TikTok is all the rage. What many of us don't know is that "EDU TikTok" is growing rapidly. Teachers are producing TikTok videos as announcements for class, lesson intros and much, much more. Many of my friends in the edtech world are creating quick, edtech tips on TikTok as well. 

I wasn't keen on TikTok, but after showing my first class announcement and lesson intro via TikTok to students, I could see a difference in their interest and engagement. On the edtech side of things, I have gotten nothing but positive responses, so far, on the edtech tips I have been sharing via TikTok. There is something magical that happens when you add some fun music to the message you're trying to convey.

Take a look below at one of my first #EDUTikTok posts. You can find this and more on my new "Quick Tips on TikTok" page on my website.


Get started by recording your source video using your cellphone. I point my phone's camera at the screen and show an intro to a lesson or a brief edtech tip. If I need to manipulate the screen, I hold my phone with my left hand and type/move mouse with my right. If you have any ideas for doing this easier, I am open to suggestions. 

Once you have your source video recorded, open the TikTok app on your phone and start a new post. As seen below, when you start a new post, at the bottom right, you'll see an option to upload a file from your phone. Tap it to access the source video.


Choose the video or image and tap next.







Once you've selected the video, as seen below, you have the option to trim it as you see fit. When you're ready, tap next.


At this point, you have the options to customize your video with sound, filters, voiceover, captions, text and more. If you are just getting started, I recommend sticking with the text and sound until you get comfortable with the other options. 


To add sound or music, tap sounds and then the More button search for music.


Adding music to your TikTok video is a great way to have some fun and personalize your message. I like to choose songs that relate somehow to the video I am sharing. It adds a nice touch. In the example shared at the top of this blog post, I used a song called "Zoom Zoom Zoom" to highlight how the tip I demonstrated can help you work faster. When choosing a song, be sure to find one that is at least as long as the video clip you are sharing. If not, there will be silence at the end.


After adding music and text to your video, the next step is to post it. The interface and format are similar to that of Instagram. You are allowed 150 characters in your post.






No comments:

Post a Comment